San Diego & Imperial DEC was named as the “2016 DEC of the Year” by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Congratulations, thank you for your hard work and contributions to the exporting community!!! Judie Reinke, Deputy Director General, US and Foreign Commercial Service – ITA, has presented the “DEC of the Year” award to the representatives of the San Diego & Imperial DEC at the National DEC Forum in Washington, DC.
In cooperation with the U.S. Department of Commerce, the 2016 National DEC Forum provided an update on the latest trends impacting exports and your DEC. This year’s Forum activities included the following:
- Opening remarks – Philip Pittsford (IL-DEC), Chair Emeritus
- Remarks from the U.S. Department of Commerce – Antwuan Griffin, Deputy Assistant Secretary, for US Operations, U.S. Commercial Service
- Introduction of new officers at National DEC
- Committee annual reports with Q & A and Comments
– Trade and Legislative by Dr. Robert Brown (KY DEC), Chair – Communications & Outreach by Philip Pittsford (IL DEC) – Social Media/website by Dr. Oz Erdem (North-Central West FL DEC)
- Trade Americas Initiative Presentation by Dr. Oz Erdem
- Panel discussion on Trade with the Americas Region
– Dr. Robert Brown – moderator – John Andersen, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere, U.S. Commercial Service, U.S. Department of Commerce – Philip Pittsford – Dr. Oz Erdem
- Keynote speaker: Judy Reinke, Deputy Director General, U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Presentation of DEC of the Year Award
- ITA Legislative Priorities- Discussion, updates and Q & A
Jordan Haas, Director of Legislative and Intergovernmental Affairs, International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National District Export Council successfully hosted the Fourth International Trade Symposium in Washington, DC. The Symposium was an annual event that is designed for small business exporters as an educational platform and engagement opportunity on key trade policy initiatives. This year the Symposium focused on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). The Symposium was open to the public. In this year’s International Trade Symposium, attendees enjoyed listening to several aspects of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and joined discussions with the experts, industry representatives and with the officials at the key organizations in the U.S. and Vietnam government. Agenda of the Fourth International Trade Symposium was as in the following: Welcome by Philip Pittsford – National DEC, Chair Emeritus Opening Remarks by Mr. Vu Le Thai Hoang, Minister Counselor and Chief Political Officer, Embassy of Vietnam to the U.S. Panel: The Arguments for the Trans-Pacific Partnership: A Sector Focus – Jim Fatheree (U.S. Chamber of Commerce) – moderator – Manufacturing: Ken Monahan (National Association of Manufacturers) – Financial Services and Insurance: Christine Bliss (Coalition of Service Industries) – Agriculture: Dave Salmonsen (American Farm Bureau Federation – AFBF) Panel: Engaging Employees, Suppliers, Customers and Community on Trans-Pacific Partnership – Christopher Wenk (U.S. Chamber of Commerce) – moderator – Leslie Griffin (UPS) – Katie Hays (Caterpillar) – Susanne Stirling (California Chamber of Commerce) Keynote Remarks by Drew Quinn, Deputy Chief Negotiator for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, U.S. Trade Representative
Save the Dates! September 22 – 23rd, 2016
Learn more about the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), Its Importance to You and How You Can Be Engaged.
2016 National DEC Fourth Annual International Trade Symposium
September 22, 2016 – Thursday, Washington, DC
• Morning Session: International Trade Symposium. Organized in cooperation with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, to be held at the Vietnam House in D.C. Vietnam is a key player in TPP Negotiations.
• Afternoon Session: Meetings on Capitol Hill with our respective elected officials and/or staff to discuss TPP.
• Evening: Reception on Capitol Hill.
To register, go to Fourth Annual International Trade Symposium registration
2016 National DEC Forum
September 23, 2016 – Friday, Washington, DC
Organized in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Commerce, to be held at the Ronald Reagan International Trade Center building. Come learn about the latest trends impacting exports and your DEC.
To register, go to 2016 National DEC Forum registration.
Join us at these important events. Details and an agenda will be available as we move closer to the event.